Colon Alt+124
November last year, I caught a TV Horror Special dedicated to the macabre lifestyle. In one part of the show, three goth girls were given makeovers by the preppy girl host. Now, I always had the impression that being goth was rooted on being depressed, so I figured that the three girls given makeovers were a bunch fakers, because hey, no self-respecting goth girl would be caught dead wearing a bright yellow shirt with a flower-patterned skirt and sparkly heels to match. That day forward, I figured being goth was just a phase... or better yet, an appearance that people who want to look cool put on.
Tonight, I went to the Fete de la Musique and wound up standing beside a goth girl. She was wearing black all over (no duh!) - black top, black skirt, black bag. I bet even her underwear was black. She had black eyeliner that gave her eyes a droopy look, and black lipstick that (kind of) looked on her sad pout. Everytime I glanced at her, she had that dull, uninterested impression, and I couldn't help but wonder "could someone really be capable of being depressed all the time?" Anybody who stood stiff like a post in the middle of a rock concert is probably deaf, or worse, gone into rigor mortis. How could she tune herself out of an environment pulsing with energy? A lot of practice?
If I had a friend who was goth, I probably wouldn't be able to stand her. Either that or I'd annoy her by asking inane questions, like "Do you watch Spongebob Squarepants?" Think about it. If you're living the goth lifestyle, what activities would you usually do? Do you hang out in your room pondering the pointlessness of life while listening to heavy metal bands? Are you even allowed to headbang (a sure-fire sign of having fun)? If you go out, what do you do for fun? Do you go to arcades? What happens if your non-goth friends ask you out to watch a Ben Stiller movie? When the funny bits come, are you allowed to smile or do you just let out an annoyed grunt?
I'm not making fun of goths. I'm just interested in their lifestyle. I've never known anyone who was breathed and lived goth. The girl standing beside me at the Fete de la Musique was the closest one I've ever come to knowing/seeing. I couldn't exactly extend my hand and ask to meet her because I might intrude on her uh... brooding. So if anyone out there knows some pure goths, please tell me how they go about their lives. Enlighten me. Thanks.
Tonight, I went to the Fete de la Musique and wound up standing beside a goth girl. She was wearing black all over (no duh!) - black top, black skirt, black bag. I bet even her underwear was black. She had black eyeliner that gave her eyes a droopy look, and black lipstick that (kind of) looked on her sad pout. Everytime I glanced at her, she had that dull, uninterested impression, and I couldn't help but wonder "could someone really be capable of being depressed all the time?" Anybody who stood stiff like a post in the middle of a rock concert is probably deaf, or worse, gone into rigor mortis. How could she tune herself out of an environment pulsing with energy? A lot of practice?
If I had a friend who was goth, I probably wouldn't be able to stand her. Either that or I'd annoy her by asking inane questions, like "Do you watch Spongebob Squarepants?" Think about it. If you're living the goth lifestyle, what activities would you usually do? Do you hang out in your room pondering the pointlessness of life while listening to heavy metal bands? Are you even allowed to headbang (a sure-fire sign of having fun)? If you go out, what do you do for fun? Do you go to arcades? What happens if your non-goth friends ask you out to watch a Ben Stiller movie? When the funny bits come, are you allowed to smile or do you just let out an annoyed grunt?
I'm not making fun of goths. I'm just interested in their lifestyle. I've never known anyone who was breathed and lived goth. The girl standing beside me at the Fete de la Musique was the closest one I've ever come to knowing/seeing. I couldn't exactly extend my hand and ask to meet her because I might intrude on her uh... brooding. So if anyone out there knows some pure goths, please tell me how they go about their lives. Enlighten me. Thanks.














0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home