Labeled
I’m pretty sure you’ve heard of this joke before: “If you’re smart but have no money, go to UP. If you’re smart and rich, go to Ateneo. If you’re rich but stupid, go to LaSalle. If you’re irrelevantly rich, go to UA&P.” How true is this generalization of the people who go to these schools?
Coming from one of the colleges stated here, I can’t help but agree with whoever wrote this joke. For almost five years I studied in a university filled with pompous brats satisfying their caffeine fix at Starbucks, who prefer to ride a car towards Jollibee instead of walking the 3 blocks. I was in a university that designed a curriculum for CCS students that had 18 units of Psychology instead of Calculus (Logic Formulation). For fuck’s sake, we even cancel classes during the UAAP season, because most of the students cut class to go to Araneta in order to cheer for freakishly large men bouncing and shooting orange balls through hoops.
I'm not saying that all students from our university are stupid and shallow. There are a select few that I respect more than anyone else I know - well rounded individuals who I feel could possibly change the face of their respective industries. I was in the College of Computer Studies, a college known for producing alienated nerds. So thankfully, I was able to meet a greater number of genuinely intelligent people than rich kids who managed to pass their subjects by making pa-cute to the professor or to unwitting classmates who would thereby allow them to copy an assignment. I knew someone who’d flash her cleavage to our professor whenever she asks for a favor. She was my friend only because the “special treatment” our professor gave her rubbed off on the people she hung out with. It’s disgusting and it’s against my principles, but hey, that’s the way it works.
Yes, there are a lot of people who give the university a bad name. I once met this fellow graduate at Accenture once. He was all airs about the fact that he got an offer from Accenture, and how we was being called up by a handful of other companies he had applied to. At first I was impressed, but he couldn't keep his mouth shut so it eventually slipped that he was only getting into companies because his dad, who's a major exec at a bank, was referring him to his "connections". Pfft. So much for the impressive accomplishments of our university graduates. Here's another one: I was walking from the jeepney stop to a school gate one day. It was drizzling, but only as hard to require one to walk briskly. When I got to the gate, I saw a student on the edge of a covered sidewalk, waiting for her driver to pick her up. A van drove up and stopped about 2 feet away from the girl. I expected her to approach the car, but instead, a maid – uniform and all – stepped out of the car with umbrella in hand. She had to assist the girl into the car. I suppose she was afraid walking a distance of 2 feet under light rain would soak her. Would she begin to divide and separate upon getting hit with a drop of water? Jesus.
Coming from one of the colleges stated here, I can’t help but agree with whoever wrote this joke. For almost five years I studied in a university filled with pompous brats satisfying their caffeine fix at Starbucks, who prefer to ride a car towards Jollibee instead of walking the 3 blocks. I was in a university that designed a curriculum for CCS students that had 18 units of Psychology instead of Calculus (Logic Formulation). For fuck’s sake, we even cancel classes during the UAAP season, because most of the students cut class to go to Araneta in order to cheer for freakishly large men bouncing and shooting orange balls through hoops.
I'm not saying that all students from our university are stupid and shallow. There are a select few that I respect more than anyone else I know - well rounded individuals who I feel could possibly change the face of their respective industries. I was in the College of Computer Studies, a college known for producing alienated nerds. So thankfully, I was able to meet a greater number of genuinely intelligent people than rich kids who managed to pass their subjects by making pa-cute to the professor or to unwitting classmates who would thereby allow them to copy an assignment. I knew someone who’d flash her cleavage to our professor whenever she asks for a favor. She was my friend only because the “special treatment” our professor gave her rubbed off on the people she hung out with. It’s disgusting and it’s against my principles, but hey, that’s the way it works.
Yes, there are a lot of people who give the university a bad name. I once met this fellow graduate at Accenture once. He was all airs about the fact that he got an offer from Accenture, and how we was being called up by a handful of other companies he had applied to. At first I was impressed, but he couldn't keep his mouth shut so it eventually slipped that he was only getting into companies because his dad, who's a major exec at a bank, was referring him to his "connections". Pfft. So much for the impressive accomplishments of our university graduates. Here's another one: I was walking from the jeepney stop to a school gate one day. It was drizzling, but only as hard to require one to walk briskly. When I got to the gate, I saw a student on the edge of a covered sidewalk, waiting for her driver to pick her up. A van drove up and stopped about 2 feet away from the girl. I expected her to approach the car, but instead, a maid – uniform and all – stepped out of the car with umbrella in hand. She had to assist the girl into the car. I suppose she was afraid walking a distance of 2 feet under light rain would soak her. Would she begin to divide and separate upon getting hit with a drop of water? Jesus.
Now that I'm feeling the negative effects of being a graduate of our university, I wish I had shoved these two people onto the road, or at least insulted them for being so grandiloquent. They're the type of people who give the university a bad name. They should have studied somewhere else.














0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home