Monday, December 27, 2004

To My Friend

I just had an enlightening, albeit depressing discovery today.

There is no such person called The One. The idea of having a soulmate, a partner with whom you're going to have happily ever after with is utter bullshit. Anyone can connect with any person they like given enough effort to make the relationship work.

Everlasting love, closely related to the soulmate theory, is a f*cked up idea too. Love is only good in the first few minutes. It all goes downhill from there. People, by nature, are always going to live in a state of discontent. In effect, a couple or so months - maybe years - into a relationship, the love that was there before will slowly - and undetectedly - be replaced by disappointment. The closest thing we have to everlasting love is the last relationship we have before we die.

Love is overhyped. Falling in love is the best part of the process. The rest of it will be like having all your teeth pulled out. The way I see it, falling in love is just some pastime that the dieties use to distract you while they prepare for the upcoming torture. While you're intoxicated with the wine that is love, a dark entity (may be cruel fate, may be the one you love) is there quietly prodding around your being, looking for points of weakness. And once they strike they're going to leave you there in pain, bleeding. And in they end, if you survive and manage not to commit suicide, you're going to ask yourself Why the hell you chose to fall in love.

I don't know why the hell I'm telling you this, or why in hell I'm madly typing away in front of the computer at 4AM. Maybe I simply want to vent out my anger towards my X. Maybe I want to partake in an act of self-righteousness and warn you about the pitfalls of love (if things between you and you-know-who work out, you won't be as f*cking idealistic as I was). In any case, I wish you all the best in the world, whatever that may be.

L'amore può essere scopato, ma ancora la desidero. Love may be fucked up, but I still want it.

***

To Whosoever Is Concerned: Okay, okay. My coherence in both language and thought are terrible. And the Italian phrase is far from accurate. I'll study Italian as soon as I have the means to do so. Meanwhile I'm stuck using Altavista's Babel Fish. So give me a break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home