Queer Eye
I don't like gay people not because I'm homophobic, but rather because they've changed the entire meaning of the term queer. Before, being queer meant being wierd. Now, being queer means that you're into the same gender, or chances are, you're a metrosexual - someone who's guaranteed to have better hair and better skin than me. The thing is, I like using the term queer because its allowed me to assign levels to being different - like, you're not eccentric, and you're not wierd, and you're a little more than odd.
I had recently met two guys, Person A and Person B. I'm not good at reading people but based on his manner of speaking and general personality, I had the feeling that Person A was gay. My suspicions were confirmed 3 days later, when he announced he was meeting his boyfriend for lunch. Person B, despite one incident where I caught him sitting cross-legged like a girl, I concluded, was straight.
This morning, person B and I were kidding around, and at one point he asked me a rather silly question regarding the program that we were doing... you know, those type of questions where the answer is so obvious but it hasn't quite registered into your mind yet. I wanted to joke around and tell him how silly he was, so in response, I said, "You're so queer." I didn't get any reaction from him whatsoever. Just silence, but not the uncomfortable type with the crickets chirping in the background, but more like an extended version of the few milliseconds before someone cracks another joke. I didn't think much of it. That was, until lunchtime.
After I had bought my lunch, Person B and I got to talking about Person C, who I had the feeling was gay because despite his really, really good looks, spoke in a high-pitched voice and was extremely mild-mannered (mousy). The conversation went normally for the first few sentences, but after the general exchange of ideas, a few seconds went by, then was followed by Person B saying, "He's cute."
Whoa. Stop right there. Guys don't use the term "cute" on guys. "Cute" is like a reserved word, only to be applied on women, children and dogs. The moment the reality of the situation hit me, I had a flashback to the event that had happened this morning, except that it ended differently:
"You're so queer."
"Darling, you have no idea."
I had recently met two guys, Person A and Person B. I'm not good at reading people but based on his manner of speaking and general personality, I had the feeling that Person A was gay. My suspicions were confirmed 3 days later, when he announced he was meeting his boyfriend for lunch. Person B, despite one incident where I caught him sitting cross-legged like a girl, I concluded, was straight.
This morning, person B and I were kidding around, and at one point he asked me a rather silly question regarding the program that we were doing... you know, those type of questions where the answer is so obvious but it hasn't quite registered into your mind yet. I wanted to joke around and tell him how silly he was, so in response, I said, "You're so queer." I didn't get any reaction from him whatsoever. Just silence, but not the uncomfortable type with the crickets chirping in the background, but more like an extended version of the few milliseconds before someone cracks another joke. I didn't think much of it. That was, until lunchtime.
After I had bought my lunch, Person B and I got to talking about Person C, who I had the feeling was gay because despite his really, really good looks, spoke in a high-pitched voice and was extremely mild-mannered (mousy). The conversation went normally for the first few sentences, but after the general exchange of ideas, a few seconds went by, then was followed by Person B saying, "He's cute."
Whoa. Stop right there. Guys don't use the term "cute" on guys. "Cute" is like a reserved word, only to be applied on women, children and dogs. The moment the reality of the situation hit me, I had a flashback to the event that had happened this morning, except that it ended differently:
"You're so queer."
"Darling, you have no idea."














2 Comments:
Look, before a mob carrying pitchforks and torches forms on my doorstep and starts screaming for my head on a platter, let me just clear up a few things...
Before I posted this entry, I asked two close friends of mine to review it. I asked them if I came off as too discriminatory towards gay people. The first one said no, the second one said yes, but only for a little bit. But the thing is, I'm not a gay-basher or anything. I think gay people are fun, and I wish I had more gay friends. Persons A, B, C are really cool dudes. Especially Person B, who's fun to hang out with and annoy. Hehehe.
Basically, I don't give a crap about the sexual orientation of the people around me. I just wrote this entry because I thought the whole wordplay with the term "queer" was funny. I do not mean to insult anyone, or any group of people.
Besides, as Jeni said yesterday, "It's my blog and I'll write whatever I want to write."
So there.
person B here.. :D
Post a Comment
<< Home